Friday, March 4, 2011

Out On A Limb: 2

This is a departure for me and it was prompted by a similar collage in a mail-order catalog. It was priced at $75 and I figured, "Heck, I can do that." So, I did using an Audubon birds coloring book published in the 1930s to create templates for the bird and branch.

By the time it was done, I wasn't happy with the piece or the process. It felt like production work; that is, it wasn't fun. So, I set this one and the first one - yet to be scanned - aside.  Coming across them again a few weeks ago, I felt they needed more. Leaves - here, cut from a vintage children's songbook - and additional wing feathers were added. Both are framed and look better than expected. Even so, I'm not sure I'll make others. 5" x 5" on archival mat board. {Sold}

1 comment:

  1. I like this experimentation. Simple yet effective.